Patient advocates help patients get the best possible care at the best possible prices. They help patients get more out of doctor visits, understand medical bills, and ensure they have all the information they need about their care.
Our MatureWell patient advocate, Michele Buenger, holds a bachelor's degree in Nursing from Chamberlain University and has 10 years of experience as a registered nurse.
Patient Advocates Can Help:
- Assess the current and future needs of patients and connect patients to internal and external resources as needed. This can include social, financial, psychosocial, clinical, spiritual and educational resources
- Help patients and caregivers establish initial connection to services, resources and providers
- Provide seamless referrals to resources to ensure the removal of barriers to care and well-being
- Help in patient education, reinforce patient education, connect patients to education resources, and teach health education courses to ensure that patients and caregivers receive or have access to appropriate training that reinforces disease treatments, adverse effects, side effects, adverse effects, notifiable signs/symptoms, lifestyle changes, self-management, patient engagement, and disease management best practices.
- Advise patients and nursing staff about the possibilities in the entire healthcare continuum and connect them to the corresponding resources within the care continuum.