Robotic surgery is a minimally invasive surgical technique that allows doctors to use very small surgical instruments and a series of tiny incisions.
Because it can be performed with these small incisions and with pinpoint accuracy, many patients can benefit from less surgical trauma, minimal scarring, and faster recovery times than with traditional open surgery.
How it works.
CHI St. Joseph Health Surgical Services has invested in the da Vinci Surgical System, and this has brought even more state-of-the-art technology to our 16 operating suites.
An advanced system of four robotic arms and an ergonomic console, the first arm holds an HD 3D camera that magnifies the surgeon’s view and allows for exacting precision. Tiny instruments are mounted on the other three robotic arms, allowing the surgeon maximum range and precise movement.
Robot assisted surgery offers an effective, minimally invasive alternative to both open surgery and laparoscopy.
The big advantages of robotic surgery.
Robotic surgery allows patients to get back to life faster. In fact, recovery times are a fraction of what they are with traditional surgery.
The advantages include:
- Fewer complications, including lower risk of surgical site infection.
- Less pain and blood loss.
- Quicker recovery.
- Smaller, less noticeable scars.
- Typically less trauma to the body.
- Often less need for pain medication.
- Enhanced precision, flexibility and control for surgeons during operations.
- Delicate and complex procedures that may have been difficult or impossible with traditional surgical techniques.
Robotic surgery is currently FDA-approved for over 50 procedures in:
- Bariatric Surgery (weight loss surgery)
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Colorectal Surgery
- Otolaryngology – Head & Neck (ENT)
- General Surgery
- Gynecologic Oncology
- Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility
A history of surgical excellence.
The CHI St. Joseph Health Services surgical team includes specialists in every discipline, and with 16 full-service operating rooms in our surgery center, you won’t find another hospital that is equipped quite like CHI St. Joseph Health.
We also offer two endoscopy suites, a cystoscopy suite, and a 22-bed ambulatory surgery unit for outpatient procedures. Our operating rooms are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to support our emergency department—the region's only Level II Trauma Center.