Looking for a new recipe to spice up your lunch or impress your family at dinner? This Thai quinoa salad is loaded with colorful veggies, fiber-rich whole grains, and lots of flavor. Give it a try, and let us know what you think!
Recipe: Thai Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 2 ¼ cup water or vegetable broth
- 2 carrots, shredded
- ½ cup red cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup kale, finely chopped, optional
- 1 cup green peas, optional
- 1 small onion, small diced
- 2 tbsp cashew butter or peanut butter, optional
- 2 tbsp red Thai curry paste
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos (or low sodium tamari)
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- Juice of 1 lime
- In a sauté pan over medium-high heat, add the onion and allow to cook for a few minutes before adding water or vegetable broth 1-2 tbsp at a time, as needed. Stir for 4-5 mins until the onion becomes soft and translucent.
- Add quinoa and stir to toast for 1-2 mins. Add water or vegetable broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, and cover to cook for 15 mins.
- Stir in shredded carrots, kale, and green peas, then cover to cook for about 5 more mins. Remove from heat and let sit for about 10 mins before removing the lid.
- To prepare the sauce, whisk together the nut butter, curry paste, coconut aminos or tamari, rice vinegar, and lime juice.
- Add sauce and red cabbage to quinoa and stir to combine. Adjust seasonings to taste and serve. Refrigerate leftovers for up to 7 days.
Recipe provided by Andrea Krenek, RDN, LDN