As hurricane season begins, many people may be wondering how to stay safe in any extreme weather that might come their way. Check out our guide to preparing for, staying safe during, and recovering from a flood.
Before the Storm
- Discuss the reality of a flood with your family ahead of time to help lessen any fear, especially if you have young children.
- Find out if your home is situated in a floodplain to assess your risk and plan accordingly.
- Prepare an emergency kit and a household evacuation plan.
- Make copies of your important documents to take with you during an evacuation.
- Pay attention to your local news and stay alert for any flash flood warnings or watches.