Understanding the Levels of Bed Availability in Texas
Because the situation surrounding COVID-19 is constantly evolving, some information may not be up to date. Stay informed by following information from your local officials and by visiting the CDC website.
The state government continues releasing new information about COVID-19, which can be overwhelming when you’re trying to keep track of what’s happening. Here’s the latest, as of June 16.
Understanding the Five Levels of Bed Availability in Texas
On June 16, 2020, Governor Greg Abbott announced that Texas is currently at Level Five on the scale of bed availability, which means there is still plenty of bed capacity in Texas. (As of June 16, there were a total of 14,993 beds available in Texas). Experts determine the level by seeing how many beds in COVID-19 patient wings are available and, if there aren’t any, how many beds are available elsewhere. Here’s what the different levels mean:
- Level Five - COVID-19 patients remain in beds designated for COVID-19 patients.
- Level Four - The COVID-19 wing is full, so COVID-19 patients surge into all physical beds within the ICU.
- Level Three - The ICU is full, so COVID-19 patients surge into non-traditional care areas within the hospital, such as operating rooms or post-anesthesia care units.
- Level Two - Non-traditional care areas are full, so COVID-19 patients surge into adjacent buildings, such as medical offices supported by the hospital.
- Level One - Adjacent buildings are full, so COVID-19 patients surge into buildings of opportunity, like stadiums or conference centers.
Self-isolating and going out in public only when necessary can help slow the spread of COVID-19. Find a variety of resources covering topics such as social distancing, wearing masks, and treating the virus through our COVID-19 hub.
If you begin to experience symptoms of COVID-19, such as fever, a dry cough, or a sore throat, stay home and schedule an appointment with your CHI St. Joseph and Texas A&M Health Network primary care physician. They can help guide you toward your next steps.