St. Joseph Health urology specialists offer expert diagnosis and complete, compassionate treatment of urological conditions for people of all ages. The expertise of the urologists at St. Joseph Health covers the continuum of clinical urology. Our urologists are leaders in clinical research and actively gain new knowledge to increase their ability to provide the most advanced treatments available. In other words, they never stop learning. And we never stop improving our services.
Common urology conditions include:
Urology procedures and treatments available
- Medications: Prescription medications can be used to treat a variety of urologic conditions, such as urinary tract infections, erectile dysfunction, overactive bladder, and prostate problems.
- Surgery: Urologic surgery may be necessary to treat conditions such as kidney stones, prostate cancer, bladder cancer, and testicular cancer. Surgical procedures can range from minimally invasive techniques to open surgeries.
- Radiation therapy: Radiation therapy is a common treatment for prostate cancer, and may also be used to treat bladder cancer and other urologic conditions.
- Shock wave lithotripsy: This non-invasive procedure uses shock waves to break up kidney stones, allowing them to be passed through the urinary tract more easily.
- Ureteroscopy: This minimally invasive procedure uses a small scope to visualize and remove kidney or ureteral stones.
- Transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP): This surgical procedure is used to treat an enlarged prostate and involves removing excess prostate tissue to relieve symptoms.
- Bladder training: This therapy involves learning techniques to control urination, and may be used to treat overactive bladder or urinary incontinence.
- Lifestyle changes: Making lifestyle changes such as drinking more water, avoiding bladder irritants, and maintaining a healthy weight can help manage and prevent certain urologic conditions.
Personalized care focused on you
The St. Joseph Health urologists and urology specialists support staff will always treat you with respect, and with the recognition that you are in charge of your health and decisions. We do, however, encourage you to ask questions until you’re completely comfortable about your diagnosis and treatment plan. We want you to be fully informed of your options so that you can make confident decisions along the way. You are the reason we exist and we treat each and every patient professionally, with reverence, and in a spirit of service.
Expertise in minimally-invasive procedures
St. Joseph Health urologists have an exceptional level of expertise with minimally invasive (laparoscopic) surgery that results in less discomfort, less bleeding and shorter recovery times than conventional surgery. Minimally-invasive da Vinci® robotic surgery allows urologists to maneuver with the greatest precision and visual clarity—all without having to make a large incision.
After careful evaluation of your situation, your urologist will let you know if there’s a minimally-invasive procedure that will be effective for you. You can trust St. Joseph Health urologists to provide the most expert advanced care for you and for your loved ones.