Having trouble falling asleep? You’re not alone. It’s common to experience a restless night every now and then. The good news: There are steps you can take to help yourself start to snooze. On those nights when it seems impossible to fall asleep, take some time to relax by cooking up a soothing cup of lavender chamomile moon milk.
What to drink before bed
If you’re looking to indulge in a tasty beverage before bed, there are some do’s and don’ts to follow:
● Don’t have anything with caffeine, as this will make it more difficult to fall asleep.
● Don’t have any alcohol, as this can disrupt your REM cycle and result in lower-quality sleep.
● Do choose ingredients with sleep-inducing benefits, like chamomile or milk.
What is moon milk?
Moon milk is a bedtime beverage that typically contains some sort of milk and other sleep-inducing herbs, spices, and ingredients. You can make it with cow’s milk, or you can swap in non-dairy milk for a vegan drink. Some common mix-ins include:
● Chamomile tea
● Ground ginger
● Tart cherry juice
What are the benefits of moon milk?
There are several benefits to drinking moon milk. When paired with a healthy sleep hygiene routine, it can help you fall asleep and get a good night’s rest. Many of its common ingredients are also good for you in other ways! For example, milk contains calcium, tart cherry juice has antioxidants and vitamin A, and turmeric is anti-inflammatory.
Also, taking the time to prepare this beverage for yourself can be meditative and an excellent way to relax at the end of a long day.
Lavender chamomile moon milk recipe
● 1 cup water
● 1 chamomile tea bag
● 1 tsp culinary lavender
● ½ cup low-fat milk or non-dairy milk substitute
● 2 tsp honey
● ½ tsp cinnamon
- Heat the cup of water in a small saucepan until boiling.
- Remove from heat, and add the tea bag and lavender. Steep for five minutes, then remove the tea bag and return to the heat.
- Add in the milk, honey, and cinnamon. Stir until the honey has dissolved, then strain into a mug.
- Allow it to cool for a few minutes, then enjoy as you wind down for bed.
If you’re consistently having trouble falling asleep, schedule an appointment with your St. Joseph and Texas A&M Health Network primary care physician. They can help you identify potential causes, develop a customized care plan to help you get quality sleep, or refer you to a sleep medicine physician for a sleep study.
Want to share your moon milk with us? Post a pic on social media, and don’t forget to tag us!
● Facebook: St. Joseph Health
● Twitter: @StJoseph_Health
● Instagram: @stjosephhealthtx
Looking for more healthy beverages, snacks, and meals? Check out some of our favorite recipes, and get to cooking!